Monday, June 17, 2019

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON!


It was race day on Saturday, the Lululemon 10k, and fortunately the rain held off and the sun broke through all the way to the finish line.  The sight of all those people flowing like a multi-coloured river along Toronto streets is always spectacular and the music and dancers encouraged us to keep chugging along smartly (the meditators, however, not so much).  
Quite a group of TPWers turned out for the race, and so it was nice to be able to pair up with someone familiar to pace with.  But I couldn't help think about the contrast to what I had experienced in Stratford where I had gone a few days earlier to see some plays at the Festival.  Because  I was there mid- week it made sense that the audiences were made up of mostly our demographic and older but still I guess I have taken for granted the vitality and fitness level of the TPW walkers - because I was surprised at how frail and unstable so many of the Stratford audience members were.  It almost appeared as if everyone needed some kind of walking assistance:  be it a regular cane, a three-legged cane, two walking poles, a walker or a wheelchair.  
I was a bit shocked until I realized that I must have become so used to being with members of our lively and determined group that I had forgotten what a lot of others in our age group are dealing with.  It sure doesn't look like any fun.  So whatever we're doing, it sure is working!  Let's keep it up for as long as we can.