Monday, May 13, 2019

Spring has sprung, and the races have begun.



Last Sunday May 5th, four TPWs participated in the Toronto Half Marathon. It was my first-ever race. I’ve been walking every Saturday morning with TPW since November 2018, so I felt like it would be a good challenge. Luckily, the weather cooperated. It was a perfect, spring day – warm and sunny. As I crossed the finish line and hung the medal around my neck, I felt a great sense of accomplishment.

This Saturday morning, in the blossom-filled Mount Pleasant Cemetery, on yet another perfect spring day, I started asking other walkers for advice about what it was like to walk a full marathon. I was, immediately, steered towards a member, who had completed seven marathons, and she, happily, filled me in on all the ins-and-outs involved in a longer race.

On Sunday May 12, 15+ TPWs walked the Sporting Life 10K. The sky was overcast, and the temperature was 7C, but felt much colder, as we huddled together at the start-line. But the rain held off and once we started our trek down Yonge Street, along with 20, 000 other participants, we started to warm up. Most importantly, over $15 million has been raised for Camp Ooch, since the first race in 2000.