Monday, May 20, 2019

Birthdays

I was going to write about Queen Victoria to celebrate her birthday when Google informed me that this is Omar Khayyam’s 971st birthday.  Since the distance on Sat. morning used up all my brain cells I thought I’d just pass on a few of his best known sayings that seem to me to relate to the TPW philosophy.
To friends and eke to foes true kindness show; No kindly heart unkindly deeds will do; Harshness will alienate a bosom friend. And kindness reconcile a deadly foe.
Dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows, why fret about it, if today be sweet?
When I want to understand what is happening today or try to decide what will happen tomorrow, I look back.
Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
Give me a flagon of red wine, a book of verses, a loaf of bread, and a little idleness. If with such store I might sit by thy dear side in some lonely place, I should deem myself happier than a king in his kingdom.
Here's to the man Who owns the land That bears the grapes That makes the wine That tastes as good As this does.
The moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on.