Monday, December 31, 2018

A Dark and Early TPW Morning...


I always find it the hardest getting up early Saturday mornings in the dark before the sun rises,  knowing it will be wintery cold outside.  This Saturday was definitely no exception but up I got and out the door I went to join the other intrepid souls in the cemetery (the living ones, anyway)  for our TPW morning walk.  It felt chilly, snowflakes were falling and there was a bit of a biting wind that struck our faces; there was no warming sunlight to alleviate the cold on this particularly Saturday, the last one of the year.
And so we come to the end of 2018 and I naturally think of endings and beginnings but also most importantly, of  continuing.  Continuing to walk of course but also continuing to grow and continuing to change.  Endings and beginnings are significant milestones but the commitment to continue is the real test.  Time is a very interesting construct; we break it into meaningful (to us, anyway) segments but it is really much more like a flowing river we are immersed in.  The writer, Jorge Luis Borges wrote:  
“Time is the substance I am made of. Time is a river which  sweeps me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger which destroys me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire which consumes me, but I am the fire.”
So ring in 2019 with these parting pearls of wisdom from me:  "Party On!" (my personal favourite), or in the words of that famous rock song:  "Keep on Keepin' On"!  And I'll see you next year, alive and well, in the cemetery.