Monday, April 23, 2018

Earth Day


I heard a thousand blended notes while in a grove I sat reclined, 
In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts bring sad thoughts to the mind. 
To her fair works did Nature link the human soul that through me ran; 
And much it grieved my heart to think what man has made of man. 

Through primrose tufts, in that green bower, the periwinkle trailed its wreaths; 
And ’tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes. 
The birds around me hopped and played, their thoughts I cannot measure.
But the least motion which they made, it seemed a thrill of pleasure. 

The budding twigs spread out their fan, to catch the breezy air; 
And I must think, do all I can, that there was pleasure there. 
If this belief from heaven be sent, if such be Nature’s holy plan, 
Have I not reason to lament what man has made of man.

I can’t say it better than Wordsworth!