Sunday, January 14, 2018

Walking Memories

This week has been more random thoughts about walking than actual power walking.

- Many times this week I was glad I could walk fast to avoid being out in the frigid cold.

- Facebook reminded me that it has been 4 years since a group of did the Disney races, Phyllis, Susan, Dianne, Shirley, Sherry, Mary and Ann-Louise. What a event filled weekend we had - lots of walking, a golf cart ride, good food, friends supporting each other and in the end medals and many t-shirts to take home. Most important are the memories created. It may never happen again that I walk 78.2 km in races over 4 days.  It's a great way to experience Disney from a different perspective.

- This week I found a note I wrote Jan 28, 2005  the night before my first Jeans Marine meeting. I think you may relate to note:
  •  "Thinking about tomorrow and my first Jeans Marines walk. Katie has told me that it is intense and I believe her.  I have my stuff out ready for the morning. How could I forget my gloves at work?
  • Do I wear jeans or leggings? I think I will wear leggings.
  • The walk is only 1 mile, so that's okay. It looks like I am a pink/downtown.
  • Pink is for walkers and that's fine by me. I love to walk.
  • I am not as excited as I was when I registered. I guess the reality is looming, while registering was making the initial commitment mentally and financially but not physically - that begins tomorrow."
Now 13 years later I am doing the Robbie Burns 8km race on January 28th. I'm doing it with other women who were Jeans Marines and others who are not. What is wonderful is that year and year we continue to move forward. The route is not always straight, smooth or comfortable but in the end we finish "upright and smiling".

Have a great week everyone. Stay warm out there.