Monday, January 8, 2018

Cold Weather Choices...

For the first time in a very long time, the weather was so cold (-34 with wind chill) that we decided to heed the warnings and not walk outside.  Some of us (those with discipline) headed to Yorkdale to walk  inside  and others (the less disciplined, me included) headed straight to Zelden's for breakfast.
When I first stepped outside on my way to the subway, I thought, wait a minute, this isn't so bad. The sun is shining, the sky is crisp blue. Sure it's cold, but if we bundled up we could have done it. We shouldn't have been so wimpy!

A minute later, as I crossed the street and the wind hit me, I did an abrupt about face. This is weather that kills. It stripped every ounce of body heat out of me in the three minute walk to the subway station. My face felt like it was being burnt,  my eyeballs hurt and my fingertips were numb.
So the warmth of the restaurant and the company of twelve like-minded TPWs was the absolute right choice. The moral of the story? She who wimps out on the advice of experts lives to walk another day!


Happy New Year to all (and, would you believe it, TPW turns 10 this year. WOW, eh?).  A  reminder - our winter meeting will be on February 10 at my house. We are going to do a book exchange as follows - everyone can bring up to 3 books with the understanding that, if no one takes them, you take them away with you. Thanks to Carol for suggesting.